Milltown is a Borough in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough population was 6,893.
Milltown was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on January 29, 1889, from portions of North Brunswick Township, based on the results of a referendum held three day earlier. The borough was reincorporated by resolution of the borough council on May 2, 1896. A portion of East Brunswick Township was annexed in 1902.
As of the 2000 Census, the center of population for New Jersey was located in Milltown, at Milltown Road, just east of the New Jersey Turnpike (see map of location).
The groundbreaking anxiolytic and sedative drug Miltown (meprobamate), which first came to market in the mid-1950s, was named after the town of Milltown.
Long before the arrival of the first Europeans, the Lenape had established settlements along the Lawrence Brook. The discovery of many artifacts in the area above today’s municipal building (now a small County Park) suggests the presence of an Indian settlement. In 1678 Thomas Lawrence, a New York baker, acquired a large area around the Lawrence brook, which likely included today’s Milltown. The Lawrence Brook was then called Piscopeek (and on later maps, Lawrence’s brook). The names and marks of several Indians (Quemareck, Quesiacs, Isarick, Metapis, Peckawan and Turantaca) appear on the bill of sale. In 1769, Fulcard Van Nordstrand advertised the sale of a large gristmill on the bank of Lawrence Brook. It would soon be called Lawrence Brook Mill.